Tuesday, June 2, 2009

STORY - Selfless love for another

Rabbi Gedalia Moshe Goldman, who later became the Grand Rebbe of Zvhil, and Rabbi Chaim Shaul Bruk, a renowned Chabad mentor, were serving time together in a Soviet prison camp. Their "heinous" crime? Observing and spreading Judaism under the Communist regime.

One Shabbat, the sadistic commander of the camp called Gedalia Moshe into his office. "I have here the papers for your release," he said as he waved some papers in the air, "and if you sign them now you will be a free man."

"But it is Shabbat," replied Gedalia Moshe. "I cannot and will not sign on Shabbat."

The commander – who, of course, knew that Gedalia Moshe wouldn't transgress the Shabbat – shouted, "If you don't sign the papers now you will remain here another eight years!" And then we'll see how your G‑d will help you…"

"Nevertheless, I will not sign and desecrate the Shabbat." replied Gedalia Moshe calmly. "If my G-d wants me to be in this prison eight more years, I will be here eight more years; it has nothing to do with you."

The enraged Commander turned to an aide and yelled, "Bring in the other Jew trouble-maker, Chaim Shaul!"
The Commander then made Chaim Shaul the same offer as he had to Gedalia Moshe: "Sign these papers and you can go free."

"Of course I can't sign the papers," replied Chaim Shaul, "It's Shabbat, and I don't violate the Shabbat."

"Then you will remain here another eight years!"

"I still will not write on Shabbat."

Suddenly Gedalia Moshe said, "Give me the papers. I will sign for him."

The Commander was dumbfounded. "What? You said you wouldn't write on Shabbat! You're going to be here for another eight years! And now you'll sign for him?!!?"

"Of course I wouldn't sign on Shabbat to gain my freedom," Gedalia Moshe replied. "But this is different. I'm strong, and I can withstand the conditions in this prison another eight years. But Chaim Shaul is weaker, and he cannot stand this place any longer. It would be dangerous for him to remain here another eight years. Give me the papers and let me sign..."

Within the next few days, both men were freed from prison.

After all, it wasn't the commander who was in control.

1 comment:

בס"ד