Thursday, November 19, 2009

Importance of 'Amen'

The Hebrew word "amen" means truthfulness, credence or belief. When we hear another reciting a blessing we respond with "amen"; thus affirming that we believe that which has just been said.

Tears fell from the angel, the officer of the Inner Chamber as he showed Rabbi Yishmael, the High Priest, what is in store for the Jews, the holy nation.

"He took me by the hand", relates Rabbi Yishmael, "and brought me into a chamber within chambers; a hidden place within hidden places, where many records were stored. He showed me written documents. In them were written all forms of troubles.

I asked him, "For whom are these troubles?"

He replied, "They are for Israel."

"And will they be able to withstand them?"

And he said, "Come tomorrow and I will show you troubles even beyond these."

So the next day he brought me within those chambers hidden within hidden chambers, and he showed me troubles even beyond those I had seen before. And I said to him, "My glorious one! Has Israel sinned so?"

And he replied to me, "Know that every day new decrees are formed against them, each day harsher than the day before. But the people of Israel gather in their synagogues and places of study and they respond, 'Amen! Yehay shmay rabba...'. And when they do this, then we do not permit these decrees to leave the inner chambers and to take effect."

No comments:

Post a Comment

בס"ד