Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Ninth Candle in Auschwitz

Chanuka 1944, Auschwitz
I was 11 years old.

I went to the infirmary to smuggle out some cream to help relieve my father's sores. His disease was eating his body away. That day, when I finally snuck over to my father's bunk, he was no longer there. I was frantic.
An older gentleman whom I had often seen talking to my father, came over to console me.
He told me that today was Chanuka, and that we light the candles to demonstrate that our light is stronger than any darkness. "Your father would be very proud to know that you carry on his light despite the blackness around us".

Moved by his words, I suggested we light the menora that night. He said that it would be too dangerous. I insisted, and ran to get some machine oil from the factory. I was so excited and for this brief moment was able to put aside my grief. Meanwhile he had put together some wicks.
As we were walking towards some smoldering cinders, to light our menora, a guard noticed us and grabbed away our oil and wicks. When his superior suddenly called him he ran off with our precious fuel.

The gentleman turned to me and said:
"Tonight we have lit a flame more powerful than the Chanuka lights. The miracle of Chanuka consisted of finding one jug of oil, which miraculously burned for eight days. Tonight we lit the ninth - invisible candle.
Make no mistake." he told me. " We did light the menora tonight. We did everything in our power to kindle the flames, and every effort is recognized by G-d. We have lit the ninth flame.

"When you will get out of here alive", he told me "take this ninth invisible flame with you. Tell G-d that we lit a candle even when we had no oil. Not even defiled oil. Yet we still lit a flame -- a flame fueled by the pits of darkness. We never gave up. Let the world know that our ninth flame is alive and shining. Tell every person in despair that our flame never goes out."

No comments:

Post a Comment

בס"ד