Sunday, December 19, 2010

We Can Control Our Thoughts....

A chassid once came to Rabbi DovBer, the "Maggid" of Mezeritch.

"Rebbe," he said, " When the Almighty commands us to do a certain deed or refrain from a certain act, I understand that however difficult it may be, I can do what G-d commanded because we all have free choice - to do something or not to. The same with speech, it is within my power to decide which words will leave my mouth and which will not.

"But what I find hard to understand is when the Torah forbids us to entertain thoughts that are destructive and wrong. Can a person really control his thoughts??"

"Go to my disciple, Rabbi Zev"
said the Maggid, "He can answer your question."

And so the chassid made the trip through the snow-covered forests of White Russia. He arrived at Rabbi Zev's doorstep late into the night. To his happy surprise, there was a light shining through the window and he could see Rabbi Zev bent over his books.

He knocked on the door expectantly, but there was no response. He knocked louder, but there was still no response. As the night wore on, and he got colder and colder, he kept pounding on the door. But Rabbi Zev was seemingly oblivious to the banging on the door-just a few feet away-and continued to study his books.

After a while of this unusual behavior, Rabbi Zev suddenly rose from his seat, opened the door, and warmly greeted his freezing visitor. He prepared a hot glass of tea for him and inquired after the health of their Rebbe.

"Actually, our Rebbe was the one who sent me to you" the confused Chassid said, " saying that you could answer a question that I've been troubled by for some time. I simply cannot understand how it is that we are expected to really control what enters our thoughts!"

"I just gave you my answer",
said Reb Zev, smiling. "Though you knocked incessantly on my door, I did not open up for you to come in. In my home, I am the boss. Whomever I wish to admit -- I allow in; and whomever I do not wish to admit -- I do not allow entry."

We are our own boss!
We have the power to control who, or what, enters our thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

בס"ד