Monday, January 31, 2011

More than the Jews keep Shabbos, Shabbos keeps them.

Shmuel was a wealthy merchant and, despite his wealth, a pious Jew.

One Friday night, when Shmuel and his whole family were sitting around the Shabbat table, a messenger from the governor came to purchase some rugs from Shmuel's store.

"It is our holy Sabbath" said Shmuel, "and I never do business on Sabbath. Please tell the governor that I will be happy to sell him the rugs as soon as the Sabbath is over."

The messenger hinted that there would be trouble.

Shmuel turned to his family and said, "Let's not forget that tonight is Shabbat. Do not look so worried. Are we not told that just as the Jews keep Shabbat, Shabbat keeps the Jews?" And with that, he began singing a Shabbat melody.

A while later the messenger returned with the message that the governor really needs the rugs now and is willing to pay an even larger sum. Furthermore, continued the messenger, if Shmuel conforms to his wishes he will have plenty more good business from him and his friends, but should he choose to disregard the Governor's request, he and his friends will entirely stop doing business with him.

"My answer remains the same as before," Shmuel told the messenger, unperturbed. "If the governor cannot wait until after the Sabbath, I must refuse his request. Please tell the governor that, though I hold him and his orders in high esteem, I must esteem G-d's orders even more."

As soon as Shabbat was over, the messenger was back again, this time with a request for Shmuel to appear at court immediately.

When Shmuel arrived at the mansion, he was quite surprised to see the governor greeting him with a broad smile. "Welcome my friend," the governor told Shmuel. And the governor went on to explain the strange events of the day. Some dignitaries had visited him the previous day and one of them had stated that the only thing Jews think about is money and that nothing is more sacred to Jews than wealth. "I was the only one who denied his accusations", said the Governor to Shmuel. "And I told him that I could prove that his charges were false. And that, my dear friend," said the governor, "is why I sent you that urgent order last night. In merit of your steadfast belief in your G-d, you have shown that the Jews value their religion more than material gain!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

בס"ד