Sunday, July 22, 2012

Debatng with horses. (Horses within)

Rabbi Dovid Tzvi Chein known as the Radatz, was a legendary Lubavitcher chassid renowned for his scholarship and piety. He served as the chief Rabbi in the city of Chernigov. Every year before Shavuot he’d walk to the town of Lubavitch, to spend the holiday with the Lubavitcher Rebbe who was residing here. However, as he aged, the long trek from Chernigov to Lubavitch became increasingly difficult for him, forcing him to make this trip only every second year.
His children suggested that in order for him to continue his annual tradition they would hire a horse and buggy to drive him to Lubavitch.
The elderly chassid refused the offer.
“After 120 years, when I will arrive to the upper worlds,” he explained, “I do not want to waste my time on discussions and debates with the horses. If they assist me in my travel to Lubavitch, they will demand part of my reward for going there.
“In truth, I can defeat the horses in debate. But, in a world of divine splendor, why should I waste my time debating horses?”

And the moral of the story:
We, too, have a “horse,” the animal within, to contend with. This internal animal is driven by selfish impulses, and resists acts of selflessness and G‑dliness.
When faced with an opportunity to do a good deed, such as demonstrating love for a fellow or giving charity, there is no place for negotiations and debates with a horse regarding the fulfillment of a divine precept.
It is a waste of time.

Wishing you a wonderful day, a day filled with doing good.








No comments:

Post a Comment

בס"ד